Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Trilogy: A Glimpse of Gilmer

On Christmas morning we woke up early to head to East Texas for Christmas #2 with my mom's side of the family. We opened our stockings as is customary before heading out. Thankfully Santa got my memo about the "good" chocolate this year and I was happy to find chocolate covered pomegranate in my stocking, as well as 60% coca chocolate. Yum!

After loading the car for both remaining Christmases the four of us headed out in my dad's Expedition. We programmed Gilmer into the Garman and headed out. Seeing as my parents drive to Gilmer at least once a month, they did not need Mr. Garmin to show them the way, but they were pleasantly surprised to see that he also told them the speed limit and an estimated arrival time.

We arrived in Gilmer in time to help my cousin Sierra finish up some Queso. Mike and I stirred it and we must have done a good job because it turned out great! We also helped my mom set out sandwich fixings while we waited for the rest of my cousins to arrive. My grandmother is 94 and is my last remaining grandparent. She gets around quite well for a woman of her age but still has my cousin, Sierra, buy all of her Christmas presents for her and has for the last few years. Sierra is in college and lives with my grandmother. After we all opened presents my grandmother said "If you like what I got you, I picked it out... If you don't, blame Sierra." Luckily I loved my robe, so thank you Grandma!

My mom's side of the family consists of my grandma, my uncle, his five kids and their five kids. Below are my girl cousins (and myself) and my oldest second cousin (beside me). The next picture is four of my second cousins in a tree. The youngest three are in first grade now and are growing so fast!


When we were growing up the kids always played Santa and handed out all the presents. It is weird to watch my cousins' kids do it now... I am a grown up and not one of the "kids" anymore.

Opening presents in East Texas is always a trip. My dad's side of the family and my immediate family all open presents one at a time. Not so with my mom's side. Once the presents are all in front of people the mayhem begins. I think some of my cousins think it is a race... or they are just really excited to see what they are going to get because they are done opening presents in about two seconds. I wait and look around and take a few pictures before I start opening. It is always funny to watch the interaction... People ripping into packages and then yelling a "Thank you, Jenny", "Thank you, Aunt Melba" or "Thank you, Grandma" across the room before opening the next gift.

We draw names and only get one gift for our cousins/uncle. This year I drew Megan and she wanted crosses. The bottom picture is her with her crosses. I was quite impressed with the three crosses I bought her. Hobby Lobby was having a 50% off sale and I was able to get her three crosses without going over our $20 spending limit! I was drawn by my cousin Sierra and received The Dark Knight. I actually have not seen it yet but have heard it is fantastic so instead of renting it and then going out and buying it, I decided to ask for it for Christmas.


After cleaning up all the wrapping paper and playing with a few of the kids toys, my family packed up and headed for Houston. We had to make it there by Christmas night so Mike could work the next day. I actually enjoyed all the time with my family on Christmas, but eight hours in the car is not necessarily my dream Christmas. Hopefully next year I will still get the family time but it wont be in the Expedition.

No comments: