Monday, October 22, 2007

A Visual Victory...

I had a fun-filled weekend consisting of high school football (the homecoming game... no less), country dancing, mechanical bull riding, and a Matt Wertz/Dave Barnes/The Gabe Dixon Band concert. All of which made my weekend quite enjoyable!

But perhaps my biggest victory this weekend came on Saturday afternoon when I beat the Glaucoma machine. :) I got my eyes checked on Saturday and I let them puff both of my eyes with that little air gun that tests the pressure!!!

Some may say... so what... that is nothing... others may even say they enjoy the quick burst of air touching their cornea... but for me it is a test of mind over matter... I dislike the test greatly... I logically understand that the puff of air is not going to destroy my eye. I understand that as the piece of plastic is approaching my eye, it is going to stop before it pokes me... but all of this "logic" does not help when I am trying with all of the mental energy I can muster...
NOT
TO
BLINK
OR
BACK
AWAY.

Unfortunately, I am sad to say that two years ago (the last time I had my eyes checked) I both blinked and backed away.... So many times that the lady said... "I don't think you have glaucoma... you can go ahead and go..." Haha... Funny... Except I was a 22 year old woman... I should have been able to control my blinking for 20 seconds... especially when I rationally knew that the machine was not going to hurt me... But I sadly had to admit defeat... And as all of you know... I don't admit defeat well... So this year I went to the doctor with a new sense of determination and...

As I mentioned earlier... I succeeded in letting the machine puff both of my eyes! Woohoo. No glaucoma for me and I managed (as a 24 year old woman) to sit still and not blink. :) You are all thrilled... I can tell. ;)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That machine beats me everytime...even when they hold my eye open I still usually find a way to blink :)

Unknown said...

It must be genetic, I have a hard time keeping my eyes open to. I am still proud of your super human efforts and your victory over the puffing machine.

Unknown said...

I dread that machine! Last time I went to the eye doc, I almost got into a fistfight with the operator. She decided to assault my eyeball with about 7 puffs in a row-- no lie! As if she was going to trick my reflexes on the fourth or fifth try. I failed it even after that and had to go back into the battering ram for another round at the end of my appt. I did not get a vision plan this year for that very reason.

Jen said...

Hey, that's a big deal. It's hard to sit tight knowing that's coming!