Sunday, May 27, 2012

30 by 30/5 of 30/Take a cooking class

A few weeks ago when my brother was in town, my mother, brother and I went to Sur La Table for a cooking class.  I have always wanted to take a cooking class at Sur La Table and thus, it was on my 30 before 30.  I was not disappointed!

Our class was called 4 Meals for the Busy Cook.  We made Wild Mushroom Risotto with Truffle Oil, Grilled Flank Steak with “Chimmichurri” and Balsamic Haricot Vert, Pan-Roasted Chicken Breast with Roasted Potatoes and Wilted Garlic Spinach and Spicy Tomato Sauce.

I learned that when cooking pasta, you should salt the water until it tastes like sea water.  Before the class, my I did not salt my noodles nearly enough.  Ever since I have started using more salt, my noodles have been much better. 

I also learned that you should stop cooking meat about 5 to 10 degrees before the suggested internal temperature because meat cooks continues to cook itself after it is off the fire.  I had no idea. 

In summary: All four meals were amazing. I highly recommend taking a cooking class for Sur La Table.

IMAG0344IMAG0327IMAG0331IMAG0328IMAG0329IMAG0334IMAG0333IMAG0335IMAG0336IMAG0342IMAG0340IMAG0339IMAG0343IMAG0345IMAG0346IMAG0337

I probably ate the steak a little too quickly.  It was really good!  I didn’t get a picture before it was almost gone.  Oops. 

No comments: