Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

I absolutely love the Rodeo. It reminds me of the State Fair but with the added bonuses of a Rodeo and concert. This year I went to Brooks & Dunn with my brother, Melissa and David. Brooks & Dunn happened to coincide with the Rodeo finals. We saw all of the rodeo events twice, the semi-finals followed by finals. It made for a longer evening but the second round events were a tad more interesting knowing that the winner received $50,000. Also, I felt like I was cheating the system and getting to see 2 rodeos for the price of one. Well worth the price.


After the classic Rodeo events came my favorite two activities, the calf scramble and mutton bustin'. The calf scramble consists of children running around trying to catch calves. After a child captures a calf, they have to rope it and drag it to the center of the ring. Then I think they raise the calf for a year or something. Not really sure but the capturing process is quite humorous.

Mutton Bustin' was new to the main stage this year and a welcome addition. It involves small children (around 5 years old) riding a sheep around the rink. The child able to hang on the longest wins. The children were adorable and the event was quite entertaining.


After the rodeo we headed to the tents to find food. I love eating at the rodeo. I had a corn dog for lunch and a BBQ sandwich for dinner. Both were worth every calorie.


Then the true challenge began. This year I was determined to find a frozen banana. I heard about them last year but didn't manage to find one. This year, however, I was on a mission and made everyone scour the carnival to find the tent selling them. After searching the entire carnival we finally found the frozen gooodies tent next to the fried candy tent. I patiently waited in line (and by patiently I mean I jumped around in excitement) and succeeded in trying my first frozen banana. My brother got a root beer float. We were both pleased with our selections and I see more frozen bananas in my future. Bring on the State Fair!

No comments: