Friday, November 14, 2008

Christmas Movies (Or Lack There Of)

I did not grow up watching Christmas movies.  I have seen a few here or there, but what most of my friends consider to be the quintessential Christmas movies...  I have either never seen or have only seen in my 20's because my friends have been outraged enough to make me watch them.  

I saw White Christmas for the first time in college and my roommates almost disowned me because I was not in love with the movie.  I mean it was good enough but the dancer's legs are way too skinny.  It is distracting.  

I also saw A Christmas Story in college because it is my best friend Erin's childhood favorite.  I think had I seen it as a child, I would also love it...  But as an adult... not so much.  It was funny enough but I don't plan to watch it every year or anything.

The only Christmas movies I saw as a child were National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and Home Alone.  I love both of these movies with a fondness that my friends seem to possess for all movies Christmas.  I am left wondering if my passion can grow for other Christmas movies or if I am destine to live in Christmas movie isolation...

This year I plan to watch It's A Wonderful Life and the old version of Miracle on 34th Street.  I have never seen either movie (I know... ridiculous... but you read the post so you knew that was coming).  Hopefully seeing two of the best Christmas movies made will jump start my Christmas movie zeal.

Please let me know if you have any other Christmas movie recommendations!  Clearly I need help. 

5 comments:

Elaine said...

National Lampoons and Home Alone are my all time favorites too! And I haven't ever seen Miracle on 34th Street or White Christmas. So you aren't the only Christmas criminal!!

Erin said...

I hope you love It's a Wonderful Life! ;-) It's not only one of my fav Christmas movies, but one of my favorite movies in general. Such a good story!

~The Neaves Nest~ said...

well, it's not a traditional Christmas movie but, Elf has become one in our house! I just watched it tonight! I hope you love It's a Wonderful Life!

Jen Lewis said...

I LOVE Elf. I probably should have mentioned it. It makes me very happy in my heart!

I passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel."

Amber Knowles said...

Friend,
Its funny you say this bc my friends have been making fun of me for not having seen the Christmas movies you didnt see as a kid either. Like you, the only ones we watched were Christmas Vacation and Home Alone:) This year we're planning to watch all the ones I "missed out on" as a kid and, after your post, Im sadly not to excited. Lets hope that Its a Wonderful Life is a good one!