Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Nashville Baby

My trip to Nashville was oh so enjoyable. Fun fellowship with Amber, great food, shopping, new friends and fall for the first time! It was beautiful. Instead of posting a day-by-day play-by-play I am going to post the highlight events. Enjoy!

Fire on the Porch
Amber and I went to a Mexican restaurant with some of her friends and I was quite sceptical. It was no Chuy's but it did the trick in a pinch. :) Afterwards we went to a group of her guy friends' house and build a fire by the front porch. It was relaxing and honestly, it felt homey even though I was in a new place with new people.


Kayaking the Harpeth
Amber, Rachel and I took a trip to the Harpeth for some canoeing. I had never been canoeing before and since the river was a little low (not exactly the rainy season) we decided to rent a kayak as well instead of having three to a canoe... Probably the smartest decision we made that day because the water was LOW. We had to stop about 150 million times, get out of the canoe, and walk it to navigable waters, get back into the canoe and paddle further down the river... Until we hit rocks again and then started the process over.

Amber and I took turns kayaking and canoeing and I very much preferred the kayak. My opinion may be based on the fact that none of us had any real experience canoeing but we could not get the canoe to go straight to save our lives... the kayak was so much easier to navigate!

We went on what should have been a 2 hour trail and managed to turn it into a three hour event full of frustration, singing ("just around the river bend"... right?!?! "Majesty!!!"), laughing so hard we collapsed, and awe at the beauty surrounding us.

We were so very ready to be done at this point... We are about 2 hours in... little did we know we still had an hour to go...


Broadway
Apparently no trip to Nashville is complete without a trip to Broadway. I did very much enjoy seeing downtown and hearing "Dixieland Delight" in every single club (four times in two hours... I would think it was a record, but Nashvillians seem so crazy about the song that it would not surprise me if some clubs had it on constant repeat).


Going to the park with Riley
So pretty everywhere. I could not get enough time outdoors in Nashville!


Pancake Pantry with Presidents
On my last day in Nashville we went to Pancake Pantry to partake in the pancakey goodness. While we were eating Amber and I both noticed that the guys at the table next to us looked a lot like George W. and Clinton... and looking a little harder the woman beside "Clinton" looked a lot like Sarah Palin... A lot... Which could not be a coincidence... When people started taking pictures with them we realized it was definitely not a coincidence. Turns out they were in town for the Debate at Belmont.

Bush was a much better impersonator... but maybe that's because Clinton looked intoxicated or high...

No comments: