Saturday, May 18, 2013

30 by 30/19 of 30/Go Hiking

Day 3: Charlie was released from the hospital early the next morning and we let him and Michelle sleep during the morning.  That afternoon Charlie was feeling "fine" and he wanted to do something.  We decided to go explore the Lava River Cave.

Outside the cave
Cave opening



We quickly decided that the cave was too treacherous for Tiffany (pregnant) and Charlie (post op).  David and I did some exploring but stayed where the others could see us.  And Charlie took some pictures. 

Jen: How far does this thing go?
Jen & David
Charlie & Michelle

The cave was pretty cool, but be warned, it was freezing in there.  If you go, dress warmly.  After the caves we went to the Lowell Observatory and looked at some stars/planets.  I always have the hardest time looking out of telescopes. It takes me a really long time to see whatever I am supposed to be looking at.  Sometimes, I don't ever see it.  I just see black.  Does that happen to anyone else?
 
  
Day 4: We spent our last day in Sedona before heading back to Phoenix.  Sedona is beautiful.  It is completely different than the Grand Canyon, so I cannot compare, but it is definitely worth seeing.  We explored Sedona for a few hours and then went on a hike.



Afterwards, David and I hiked Cathedral Rock while Charlie, Tiffany, and Michelle went exploring to find a place to take a sunset time lapse video.  Cathedral rock is 1.5 miles up and back and it is steep.  At parts it was flat out bouldering.  Thankfully I have known David for years and I did not feel self-conscious asking him to take it slow, otherwise my stupid pride might have gotten me killed.




The view was perfection.  Honestly one of the prettiest things I have ever seen.  The pictures do not do it justice. Having to exert physical effort in order to have the privilege of seeing something makes it all the more special to me.   

No comments: