New year, new possibilities…
I love that a new year makes me introspective. Sadly, when left to my own devises, I am rarely introspective. When I think back over 2009, I am overwhelmed by God’s faithfulness to me. I strengthened friendships with my wonderful community group. I watched my 7th graders grow in maturity and in their relationships with the Lord and with each other. I was humbled immensely in the first few months of the year by a job I found little satisfaction in, but knew I was lucky to have. I received a job with two wonderful attorneys that invest in me more than I could have ever imagined and genuinely want me to succeed. I brought home a rambunctious, precious puppy and realized the joys and responsibilities of taking care of another life. I got to spend precious time with my parents, whom I love and respect more than words could express.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Bought a puppy. Took a deposition. Represented a client at a hearing. Completed an attorney ad litem appointment. Purchased a smart phone.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last years resolutions:
1. Complete at least 3 things on my life list. Any three. I can even add more and complete those... so there is no way NOT to complete this resolution, but it is a resolution none-the-less.
Success. I found a job that challenges and excites me, got a puppy, and knitted a scarf.2. Find a job that is challenging and enjoyable (which is number one on my life list, but it is a BIG one... so it gets its own spot on my resolution list too) or at the very least find a permanent job.
I realize it is listed above, but I am thankful I got to complete this portion of my life list. I am constantly challenged by my job and enjoy it more than not, which is a huge praise when compared to a year ago.3. Slow down. I am a type A, list making, always going girl and I really need to learn how to rest sometimes. I got a glimpse of this illusive rest over the last few months and I realized while resting is not something I do willingly, it is something I need. My goal is to learn to take a break every once in a while and not be so rigid with my time. I hope to yield to the Lord when needed instead of protesting and pointing to my very long "to do list".
I was not hugely successful in this endeavor and it will remain on my resolution list for 2010.4. Get more involved in Watermark's singles ministry, which might seem to conflict with number 3, but it doesn't. I have had a bad attitude about Watermark's singles ministry from day one and I am resolved to get over it. Watermark is not First Baptist. There are no Sunday School Classes. There are not going to be Sunday School Classes. I need to suck it up and get out there anyway.
I have accepted my Church for what it is, but have yet to get extremely involved with the singles ministry. In 2009, I met a few wonderful women that are more involved than I am… So I will say progress has been made but I am not involved myself… So this one is a repeat resolution as well.5. Train for something. Anything. I miss working towards a physical goal. I have mentioned this before but I work out much better when I have an end goal in mind. Thus, at some point in 2009 I hope to train for and complete another race of some sort: a triathlon, a 5k, a 10k, a half-marathon... something.
I agreed to train for and compete in a half-marathon. The half-marathon is in March of 2010… So sadly I had little success with this resolution in 2009, but things are looking up for 2010.3. What places did you visit? Aside from Galveston and Houston (which are kind of staples), Las Vegas and a road trip to Baltimore.
4. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A boyfriend… If I am being honest, that is on my list… But I will go with discipline to wake up early enough to do a quiet time and work out in the mornings.
5. What days from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory?
My birthday party with my wonderful Dallas friends; being offered a full time position at my law firm; buying my first car; eating a fantastic dinner cooked by my brother with him, Mel, and David; Pride and Prejudice with Sarah, Sarah, Katie and Stacy; Karla saying “I look like your child” after taking a picture with the Amazon women in our community group; and bringing home my puppy Tatum.
6. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting a full time job at a law firm I love. Again… I realize the redundancy but it is the truth.
7. What was your biggest failure?
My inability to read through the Journey with my church. I didn’t even make it through June.
8. What was the best thing you bought? My Honda CRV.
9. Where did most of your money go? Towards my college and law school loans.
10. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spend quality time with friends and my family. Memorize scripture. Work out.
11. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Watch TV.
12. What was your favorite TV program?
Lost. I also enjoy Bones, the Office, and House.
13. What was your favorite film of this year?
Hmmm. What did I even watch this year?! I really liked Up. It is the only movie I can actually remember watching in theaters, so lets go with that.
14. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Dinner with my fabulous girl friends at Fireside Pies. I turned 26.
15. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009? Classic. With a touch of trendy.
16. What kept you sane?
My father walking my hyper puppy daily, good friends, and a manageable billable hours requirement.
17. What is a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009?
I enjoy learning and I already miss being in school. The real word can be brutal. I don’t like paying bills and sticking to a budget is easier said than done. I learned that life only gets more frantic as I get older and I really must prioritize better.
18. What is a valuable spiritual lesson you learned in 2009? God does not want my accomplishments for Him. Too often I do things in my own strength. I am beginning to learn to surrender and be still before Him. (Psalm 46:10 - “Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”)
19. What are your goals for 2010?
1. Complete the Journey.
2. Slow down.20. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
3. Complete a half-marathon.
4. Better prioritize.
5. Start an IRA.
6. Get SCUBA certified.
7. Travel. Visit someplace new.
8. Get more involved with Watermark Singles.
Many the Miles by Sara Bareilles:
Too many sunsets
I haven't seen
You can't waste the day wishing it'd slow down
You would've thought by now
I'd have learned something
I made up my mind when I was a young girl
I've been given this one world
I won't worry it away
But now and again I lose sight of the good life
I get stuck in a low light
But then Love comes in
Many the miles
Many the miles
How far do I have to go to get to you
Many the miles
But send me the miles and I'll be happy to follow you Love






2 comments:
Who are these folks who are involved in the Porch? Just curious...
Good stuff Jenn I love how thoroughly you've thought threw the upcoming year!
Post a Comment